Pave - Your Benefits and Budgeting Calculator

As a part of our commitment to helping the nation to understand its finances, we’ve introduced Pave.

Pave is a free online Benefit Calculator and Budgeting service that uses over 4,000 pieces of legislation across four Government departments to help people understand how they are affected and what support they are eligible for.

Grow your financial strength without needing to be experts in the benefit system.

Go to Pave


There is no cost – Pave is a free tool.

Who can use Pave?

Pave is a free tool that can be used by individuals and advisers.

About Pave

  1. Pave is: 
    • Fast
    • Accurate
    • Simple to use 

  2. Benefit Calculator
    You can use our online calculator to help you find out:
    • What benefits you could claim and how
    • How much you could get and how your income could affect this
    • What other financial support may be available to you
    • If you could save money on things like bills

    To get an accurate calculation, you will need to enter information about your:

    • Household income from payslips
    • Existing benefits or pensions and those of anyone living with you
    • Regular payments you make (rent, mortgage, and childcare)
    • Council Tax
    • Savings

    The more accurate the details you enter, the better your benefit and budget calculation will be.

  3. Budgeting
    Once you have completed the benefit calculation, you can then create a budget. This will help you see all of the expenditures in your household and what savings can be made. This can help you plan to pay off any debt you owe and see how much benefit and income you have left.

    To get the most out of the Pave Budgeting Tool, you should have the following information to hand:

    • Debts – what they’re for and how much you owe
    • Expenditure - what you spend each month on things like transport, food and clothing
    • Affordability - how much you think you could pay back each month towards the debts

What Pave can do

Benefit Calculation

  • Compare income under current system and Universal Credit
  • Save and download information about benefits and how to maximise income
  • See which benefits couples can claim to maximise joint income
  • Calculate income for students, refugees and asylum seekers
  • Forecast UC fluctuations for weekly income for next 12 months
  • Forecast weekly income and total household income that falls in UC assessment periods, for next 12 months
  • Auto calculate Council Tax liability based on postcode
  • Auto calculate Local Housing Allowance
  • Calculate localised Council Tax Support
  • Allow for Council Tax exemptions, disability and single person discounts
  • Manually change auto calculated values
  • Include details of self-employed user and partner
  • Allow for pension contributions

Understanding change 

  • See impact of change in earnings or hours on income via sliders
  • Model, save and compare changes of circumstances

Next month's Universal Credit

  • Calculate the exact amount for the next Universal Credit payment
  • Give clients a more accurate prediction of how much money they’ll have next month
  • Enter multiple types of income and payment dates
  • Ideal for clients with complex employment and earnings situations
  • View a Universal Credit calendar showing the expected income and exact amount and payment date of Universal Credit payments for the next 12 months

Help for Claimants

  • Get personalised benefit advice
  • Get advice to maximise income
  • Print a record of the case
  • Click links to Find a Job
  • Click links to benefit claim forms and advice
  • Get support via general email helpline


  • Access Budgeting calculator
  • Compare outgoings with other similar households to help budget
  • Create smart budget plans showing prioritised payments
  • Calculate maximum overpayment repayments, deductions due to sanctions, advance payments and hardship awards


Financial Support, Benefits and Guidance - Useful Links

Money Advice and Tools

Energy Advice and Grants

Impartial and independent advice to help you:

  • Reduce your energy bills
  • Make your home warmer
  • Plan home improvements
  • Make your home greener
  • Learn about available energy grants

Get advice

Debt Advice

Get free and independent debt advice over the phone and online.

Get DEBT advice


Get free guidance on:

  • Benefits
  • Family & Care
  • Money Troubles
  • Savings
  • Everyday Money
  • Homes
  • Pensions & Retirement
  • Work


Pension Wise

Pension Wise is a government service from MoneyHelper that offers free, impartial pensions guidance about your defined contribution pension options.

An appointment with Pension Wise is free and will help you understand what your overall financial situation will be when you retire.

It’ll talk you through your options to help you make the right decision. You’ll also find out about the other factors you need to consider when deciding on your options before retirement.


Check your State Pension age

Use this tool to find out:

  • When you’ll reach State Pension age
  • Your Pension Credit qualifying age
  • When you’ll be eligible for free bus travel


Apply or Renew a Blue Badge

Check your eligibility and apply for a Blue Badge. You can also use this service to reapply for a Blue Badge.

  • You can apply for yourself, someone else or an organisation.
  • A Blue Badge costs up to £10 in England and £20 in Scotland. It’s free in Wales.
  • They usually last up to 3 years.
  • You must reapply for a Blue Badge before your current one expires.

Apply or renew a blue badge

Cost of Living Payment Guidance

Guidance on getting an extra payment to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

Get help with cost of living

Get a free or discounted TV licence

You can get either:

  • A free TV licence if you’re 75 or over and you get Pension Credit
  • A discount if you’re blind or in residential care

Help with TV Licence

Council Tax

Apply for Council Tax reduction

Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

You’ll get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible.


Apply for a Council Tax discount

Check with your council if you’re eligible for a discount which will reduce the Council Tax you pay.


Check your Council Tax Band (England & Wales)

Find out the Council Tax band for a home in England or Wales by looking up its address or postcode.


Check your Council Tax Band (Scotland)

Find out the Council Tax band for a home in Scotland by looking up its address or postcode.


Benefits and Financial Support

Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.


Universal Credit - Apply

Get help with the early stages of your Universal Credit claim.


Child Benefit - Claim

Access the information and forms you need to claim Child Benefit.


Claim for help with the Cost of Living

If you don’t have enough to live on, you might be able to get help from the Government or your local council to afford essentials like bills and food. This includes the Household Support Fund and Cost of Living Payments.


Housing Benefit – Apply

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • You have reached State Pension age
  • You’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing


Discounted Royal Mail Redirection Service

The Redirection service enables your mail to move with you when you are moving to another home.

The Redirection service helps ensure that:

  • You won't miss important documents
  • You’ll help prevent your personal details falling into the wrong hands and becoming a victim of fraud
  • You will receive home mover offers

The concessionary offering is for customers who are in receipt of Universal Credit or Pension Credit. Universal Credit also covers the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and
  • Working Tax Credit


Mortgage Interest Run On

Mortgage Interest Run On is extra money you can get towards your housing costs if certain other benefits are stopping because you’re:

  • Returning to work full-time
  • Working more hours
  • Earning more money

You can get this help for 4 weeks.


Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • Your mortgage
  • Loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home


Cold Weather Payment (restarts 01 November 2022)

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.


Check what help you can get from your local council

Your local council might help you pay for things like:

  • your energy and water bills
  • food
  • essential items - for example, clothes or an oven

This help is known as 'welfare assistance' or the ‘Household Support Fund’. Each council runs their own scheme. The help they offer and who can get it varies.

Ask your local council if they run a welfare assistance or Household Support Fund scheme.

You don’t have to be getting benefits to get help from your local council. If you do get benefits, they won’t be affected if you start getting money from a welfare assistance or Household Support Fund scheme.


Search for a charitable grant

Many charitable funds will help people who have no recourse to public funds - and cannot claim welfare benefits

Charitable grants do not have to be paid back.


Apply for New Style Jobseeker's Allowance

Check here to see if you are eligible and apply.


Benefits and Financial Support (Health and Care)

Help with NHS prescriptions and health costs

You might be able to get free NHS prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and help with other NHS costs.

Whether you get help depends on things like:

  • Your age
  • Your income
  • Where you live
  • If you get certain benefits
  • If you’re pregnant
  • If you have a medical condition

Use this service to check what help you could get and how to apply.

It usually takes 5 minutes to check.


Carer’s Allowance

Click here to make a claim for Carer’s Allowance.


Apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

Apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • A long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • Difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

Apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Apply for Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

Apply for Attendance Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • Is under 16
  • Has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Get benefits if you're nearing the end of life

You could get money to help with living costs if you’re nearing the end of life because of an illness.

If your doctor or a medical professional has told you that you might have 12 months or less to live, you might be able to:

  • Get benefits at a higher rate or get extra money
  • Start getting payments quicker than usual

This is sometimes called ‘special rules for end of life’.

Get benefits if you're nearing the end of life

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if you became ill or are disabled because of an accident or disease either:

  • At work
  • On an approved employment training scheme or course

The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Claim if you were injured while serving in the armed forces

You can claim compensation if you were injured or got an illness while serving in the armed forces (including the reserve forces).

Compensation may include:

  • A lump sum
  • Regular payments

Claim if you were injured while serving in the armed forces

Blind Person’s Allowance

Blind Person’s Allowance is an extra amount of tax-free allowance.

It means you can earn more before you start paying Income Tax.

claim Blind Person’s Allowance

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

get Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Students' Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

This can be on its own or in addition to any student finance you get.

The type of support and how much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

You do not need to pay back DSA.

claim Disabled Students' Allowance

Help if you have a disabled child

Your local council can provide help if you have a disabled child, including:

  • short break services
  • holiday play schemes
  • care at home
  • some aids and adaptations
  • financial help, e.g. money towards travel costs for hospital visits

get Help if you have a disabled child

Vaccine Damage Payment

If you’re severely disabled as a result of a vaccination against certain diseases, you could get a one-off tax-free payment of £120,000. This is called a Vaccine Damage Payment.

You can also apply for this payment on behalf of someone who has died after becoming severely disabled because of certain vaccinations. You need to be managing their estate to apply.

You can still take legal action to claim compensation, even if you get a Vaccine Damage Payment.

get Vaccine Damage Payment

Guidance and Support

What to do if you become disabled

You have rights if you become disabled to protect you from discrimination. You might also be entitled to certain benefits.

The main disability and sickness benefits are:

What you’re entitled to depends on your circumstances - use a benefits calculator to see what you might be able to get.

You might also be able to get:

check What to do if you become disabled

Support visits if you need help to claim benefits

You may be able to get a home visit from a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) officer to help you with your benefit claim.

You cannot book a visit yourself. Tell DWP you need help to claim benefits by calling the number of the benefit you’re applying for. If you’re eligible, they’ll arrange a support visit.

You can also be referred for a support visit by a charitable organisation like Citizens Advice or Age UK.

Support visits can take place somewhere other than your home, for example at a hospital. This will usually be discussed with you when you’re referred.

Get support visits if you need help to claim benefits

Intensive Personalised Employment Support

Intensive Personalised Employment Support is one-to-one support and training to help you into work if you have a disability.

To apply you must:

GET Intensive Personalised Employment Support

 Apply for communication support at a job interview if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work)

You can apply to Access to Work to get money for communication support at a job interview.


Work and Health Programme

The Work and Health Programme helps you find and keep a job if you’re out of work.

It’s voluntary - unless you’ve been out of work and claiming unemployment benefits for 24 months.

Get Work and Health Programme


Frequently asked questions

Does Pave apply to the whole of the UK?

Pave covers England, Wales and Scotland.

Who provides the service? 

This service is provided for Stipendium Limited by Policy In Practice (“PIP”). The Privacy Policy, Accessibility Statement and Frequently Asked Questions can be accessed via the Calculator link above and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

What if I need help?

If you need assistance, you can use the ‘Contact Us’ form within the calculator to speak to a professional.

What type of information does Policy in Practice collect and why?

When someone visits the site PIP use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. PIP do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. PIP do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.

If PIP do want to collect personally identifiable information through the website, PIP will be upfront about this. PIP will make it clear when they collect personal information and will explain what they intend to do with it. This standard information can help PIP to find out which parts of the Sites are popular or need changing to enhance your website experience. The information PIP may collect includes, but is not limited to, information about visitors’:

  • internet service provider
  • operating system
  • browser type
  • domain name
  • internet protocol (IP) address
  • access times
  • referring website, if applicable
  • requested web pages and the date and time of those requests

Collection of website use information may also involve the use of cookies to give you the best experience of PIP’s website and tools. Please see PIP’s Cookies Policy for more information.



We use cookies that help us provide you with the best possible shopping experience with us. For example, they allow us to keep track of the items in your bag, display personalised content, as well as analyse and improve the operation of our website.

To accept our cookies please click the button below, or for further details and the chance to specify your cookie preferences please click ‘more information’.

You can change your preferences at any time by visiting the "Cookies Preferences" page, which can be found via our footer. View our privacy notice for full details.